Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

Today has been a two steps forward, two steps back kind of day. Earlier today I was told by one of the five year olds in my house that Luke had a stinky diaper. Apparently his odor was offensive. But I was doing lunch dishes so I said I would get him when I finished up. Fast forward five minutes and one of the teens in the house comes to me and says, " I think Luke is leaking". So I rush to him and find that he does in fact have something yucky running from his shorts and down his leg. It was yuck! I rushed him upstairs and put him directly in the bath tub. When I removed his clothes, and he saw the mess for the first time, he said, " I am dirty". I could not disagree. And then he continued to say "gross" as I washed him off. And it was. But after a thorough scrub down with some peppermint body wash, all was well. This would be a step back.

But when he woke up we braved the rain and went to James Coney Island. Luke and I both had a chili cheese dog and it was delicious. After that we went to The Mad Potter and painted a small flowering pot and a photo frame. It was very fun and Luke got into it. He wore an apron and painted to his hearts content. In five days our work will be fresh from the kiln and ready for use. This was the highlight of our day.

Following this, we went to Wolf Camera. I was having trouble with my camera today and I went to get an assessment. It turns out that there is something wrong with my camera. This blows because I love to take pictures. Right now I am left with my camera phone which is just not up to my standards. This was a major blow to my day.

And to sum up my day, there were two more notable moments. First, when I came home one of the families in the house was watching YouTube music videos of Beyonce. One thing led to another and the next thing you know her, her two small children, Luke and myself were up and dancing. We were really movin' and groovin'. It was very fun and so hilarious to watch a 5 year old and two toddler's idea of dancing. By the end of our session I was sweating and feeling like I had just jazzercised.

Luke went to bed after that and I rounded up some trash and emptied my fridge. So, there was spoiled milk and other food products in this bag. I was in a hurry to get it outside and placed in the trash "barn" outside. However, when I walked up the door to the trash area was open. We have a raccoon problem at our house and I am paranoid that I am going to startle one of them in the trash can and lose my face to rabies.. or something like that. Naturally, I rethought my trip to the trash can when I heard the critter moving around inside the hut. I ran to get help from another mother and we sat there in a staring contest with that darn raccoon. He peered out of the open door at us waiting for our trash deposit. He was too bold for my liking so I snuck up and kicked the door shut on his furry little face and then ran back to the house with my trash bags in case he got raccoon rage and chased me. Myself and my trash are safely in the house.

It has been a weird day. A roller-coaster of experiences. Overall, I think I would say it was a good day - if you forget about the poop incident.

1 comment:

  1. What a lucky little boy to have a Mommy give him so many new and different experiences.

    ReplyDelete