Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Therapy

Some people love to shop. Some people love to eat. And some people love to sleep. I guess you can say that I am one of those people who likes to shop when I feel blue. However, I do not like to shop for clothes. In fact, clothes shopping is one of my least favorite activities. Instead, when I need some retail therapy, you can find me browsing the bookstore shelves. And that browsing turns in to buying about 9 times out of 10. So today turned out to be a bummer day. And to shake off those blues I treated myself to a movie ("Away We Go") and then found my car steering itself to the nearest Borders bookstore. I spent some time browsing in almost every section and then bought two books that I didn't really need. But just buying those books made me feel better. As I am now realizing, my book buying has become a compulsion - an addiction if you will. I like to buy, read and display my books. I get a weird satisfaction out of being an "avid" reader. Even when I finish a book I can't bare to part with it. I don't trade in my books and I have a hard time loaning them out because I like to have them there, on my shelf, as a trophy of my literary accomplishment. I have always dreamed of having a home library to showcase my collection. I don't know where I am going with this other than to say that I had a crummy day - but it was nothing that a couple of pieces of fiction couldn't fix - well, not fix but soften a bit. That and a few phone calls to my friends - Carly and Jacob. Those two are good people. The best even. They sure do know how to be a friend. And today is Jacob's birthday too! So happy birthday Jakester. Today was long and hard - with some good bits in between. But tomorrow is a new day. So sleep tight friends and may new mercies find you in the morning. And if any of you need a good book, let me know. I can give you my opinion on a few good reads and if you are really lucky, maybe even loan you one of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment