Monday, January 11, 2010

Dejavu

You know that feeling you get when you put on a pair of jeans you haven't worn (or washed) in a while, and you find money in the pockets? Or when you wake up and realize you don't have to get up yet because your alarm won't go off for another two hours? Well that's how I felt today when I logged on to my college website to log in for the Spring term and I learned that classes do not start today, they start next Tuesday. Woohoo!! I had been mentally and emotionally preparing for another semester of hard work and dedication. But it seems I can put that off for another week. I was also trying to cut back on my napping to get back in "school mode". However, with my new knowledge firmly in place, I treated myself to a nice hour and a half nap without any remorse. Sometimes the unexpected turns out to be a pleasant surprise.

Unless, you are talking about weight loss. You don't joke around about weight loss. I don't really enjoy the process of losing weight. It requires untold amounts of restraint, sacrifice and sweat. These are all things I do not freely give. Therefore, when I commit to a plan that involves said things, I want to see results. I want to know that if I do a,b & c then d will happen. I like certainties. But as I have seen time and time again on Biggest Loser, the effort doesn't always equal the results. Sometimes you stall and hit a wall. I have been fully committed to this new diet and exercise plan. No cheating and no slacking. And yet, for two days I didn't lose any weight. In fact, one day I even gained some weight. Talk about being PISSED OFF. I felt cheated and robbed. OK, I may have even had a diva moment where I swore off the diet. It just really stinks to work so hard and still not get the result you want. It's like studying for a test and getting a C, fighting for your marriage and watching your spouse give up, or planning an event and then no one comes. All the hard work feels like it was for not. I wallowed in that and debated getting a spoonful of peanut butter just to shove it in my diet's face. But in the end, I collected myself and sat down to an egg and veggie breakfast and continued on with my normal routine. And I will have you know that this morning I stepped on that dreaded scale and I had lost 1/2 a pound. No more plateau!! I am rethinking the horridness of this diet. No, it still stinks. But when you see results it is decidedly easier to deal with it.

1 comment: