Monday, April 20, 2009

Just Keep Swimming...Just Keep Swimming...


This is my son, he is 1 and a half, and he is a swimmer. Well technically he is more of a sinker than a swimmer, but all in good time. My parents fulfilled my life long dream in the fall of 2008 and they got a pool. At that time, my son was 4 months old and whenever the pool was heated, he would be in it. So naturally he has become a full-fledged tadpole. When it comes to water, there is absolutely no fear in this child. At first we thought this was a good thing. But as he started jumping and diving and going under the water without hesitation, we realized we needed to be proactive. So our little kiddo is in swim lessons. He goes every Monday, for 30 minutes. His little class is made up of 6 little toddlers ages 4 months to 2 years. Right now he has the distinction of being the oldest kid in the class. So he has a lot at stake here because the other kids are looking to him to set the example. He has been taking classes for 6 weeks or so and I have had the pleasure of being there for two lessons. Because my schedule doesn't allow me to go to the lessons, my mom takes him. It just so happened that I was able to go along for the ride today and I took some pictures during his lesson. I watched from behind a glass window on the opposite side of the pool so the images are somewhat fuzzy. Here is a play-by-play of the lesson, from a proud Mommy's vantage point:

Floating on his back. He actually hates this part. It only lasts for a few seconds.


Diving in!

Practicing his strokes.



This is a video of Luke playing and jumping off of the floating mat. As you can see, Luke has a hard time staying focused. Although Nana has her ways of keeping him alert.





Bottom line: My kid is the next Michael Phelps. Or at the very least, he is the best swimmer in his class. He has set the bar very high indeed. His mother is so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment