Monday, April 20, 2009

Calling a Spade, a Spade

Let me first preface this post by saying that this is very sensitive material. It took me some time to decide how to say this and when to say it and I have come to the conclusion that now is the time. I know that if you are reading this, then you are within my circle of trust, otherwise you wouldn't have this blog URL or any interest in reading it. So I will continue in faith and trust, knowing that you will care and will use this information wisely. That being said... let's begin.

I want to start with the simple statement: my husband and I are separated. Gosh! That was as hard to write as it has been to wrap my brain around. And with that simple statement, there is a more complex story behind it: my husband asked for a separation on December 2, 2008. Basically, there were some issues in our marriage that he wanted us to step back and really look at and he felt that some distance might give us a fresh perspective. I did not disagree. After a week of thinking and praying, he decided for us to continue the separation. I did not agree. And since then, we have been living apart. I have wrestled with God on this and found Him to be faithful and good, even in this heartache and confusion.

I do not believe in divorce and married knowing that it was not an option for my future. I still believe that. I do not want a divorce and I am praying and hoping that it will not come to that. I have found solace and strength from friends and family who have cried with me, encouraged me, told me the hard truths and helped me to find joy in the journey. It has been a hard road filled with hurt beyond explanation. But... it has also helped me to realize that I am strong, and faithful and hopeful to my core.

There are a lot of questions still remaining when it comes to my marriage. Right now, the situation doesn't look hopeful. I don't think that my husband's mind and heart are in the same place as mine. And I don't know what to do about that except to pray and believe and live. I heard this statement in some reading I was doing lately: you didn't cause it, you can't control it and you won't be able to cure it. That is where I am at. I can't control anyone but myself. I will only be held accountable for my actions, and reactions and responses in any situation. And so I have steadied myself for this battle. I will carry hope for a renewed marriage and stay faithful to what I believe in my heart. But I will also laugh, and sing, and find joy in other things.

I didn't know if I should share this, or if this was the place to do it. But I am glad that I did because there is freedom in sharing the truth. I want you guys to know, so that you can pray for us and encourage me and hold me accountable to the things that I have said here. I want to tell you so that I can face my fear that this imperfect marriage means that I am not good enough. I know that this is untrue and silly, but most fears are.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has read this and took it to heart. I am finding new joy every day and learning to hope, against all hope. There is a song that I have clung to in this time. I would like to share the lyrics from that sing as I close this blog:

The pathway is broken
and the signs are unclear.
And I don't the reason
why You brought me here.
But just because You love me
the way that You do...
I'm gonna walk through the valley,
if You want me to.

Cuz, I'm not who I was
when I took my first step.
And I'm clinging to the promise
that You're not through with me yet.
So if all of these trials,
bring me closer to You...
then I will walk through the fire
if You want me to.

It may not be the way that I would have chosen.
When You lead me through a world that's not my home.
But You never said it would be easy.
You only said I'd never go alone.

So when the whole world turns against me.
And I'm all by myself.
And I can't hear You answer
my cries for help.
I'll remember the struggle
Your love put you through...
and I will go through the valley
if You want me to.

- "If You Want Me To" by Ginny Owens

6 comments:

  1. Leslie, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful heart. I would consider it a priviledge to pray for you and am looking forward to doing so. I love that song by Ginny Owens, it has brought me comfort during some dark times as well. Keep looking up...love ya'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for being so honest! I believe in you, and I believe that your heart in all this is in the right place, and I will continue to pray :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Leslie, I wish I could hug your neck right now. I have been praying for you and will continue to. You have so much goodness in you and I hate that you are having to deal with this. But if I have learned anything, God gives us trials and we will grow closer to Him through them - keep looking to Him. Love you, Lanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Leslie,
    Praying for you, Jason, and Luke fervently and expectantly - knowing that the Lord will carry you through. I am so sorry for the heartache you are going through right now. It's not fair! But I know that during my trials I am closest to God and He never ever lets me go. Praise God for the amazing family and friends that you have - may they sustain you. Please be strong, sweet girl, and know that you are loved. Praying 2Corinthians 1:3-7 for you. With love, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Leslie!

    I saw Sara at Jen's wedding today and she told me about your blog. I will be praying for you!!

    Could you please send me your mailing address? There's something I'd like to send to you.

    ANGELA

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably need somewhere to send that mailing address...

    angela.wilcox@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete