Monday, August 16, 2010

Put the Needle on the Record


Occasionally, I like to rent movies from the local Red Box. I tend to do this a bit more when Luke wants a movie because the kids movies are hit and miss these days and I am a try before you buy kind of girl. So, a week ago I rented this movie from the Red Box kiosk:

I was shocked to find it there among the newer movies, because I remember this movie from my childhood (which lets just say was a while ago). In fact, I remember recording the soundtrack to this movie on to a cassette tape, with my fisher price radio, and playing parade float on the trampoline with my sister singing and dancing to the music. Ahhh, memories. So I took the movie home and within the span of 48 hours, Luke watched that movie 6 times. I then took the movie back (on time, I might add) and for the next several days all I hear from him are requests for the "chipmunk" movie. So, this last weekend I rented the movie again (thank you Red Box) and again we have seen it about 6 times in 3 days. It is like it never gets old to him, watching that same movie over and over again. He can even quote it and sing along. I am talking, when the video is done we go to the beginning and watch again. The thing is on repeat. And he watches it just as intently each time, as if it is the very first time. All the while, the adults in the house have to pray for patience and peace each time that video starts anew. Somehow the chipmunk charm has lost its power over us.


Being a parent has taught me a lot about how God must view us, as His children. It has allowed me a taste of the unconditional love, discipline and guidance that He must feel as a Father. And it seems that when it comes to learning the lessons in life, I am sometimes like that "chipmunk" movie. I have to keep watching, and keep doing, over and over again. Its like I am tripping on the same banana peel over and over again and getting surprised each time - as if it were the first time. At times, it would almost seem that I enjoy learning things the hard way, because I am so determined to repeat my mistakes. And the miracle is that God never rolls His eyes at the fact that I am stuck in this broken record pattern. He never wishes that I would put in another movie already. He just patiently waits for me to do my song and dance until I get tired of singing the same words.


I am about tired of that darn Chipmunk movie. But I find myself surprised and grateful for the lesson it has taught me about being stuck in my own rut and being content to do so. It is amazing how God chooses to talk to us. I honestly never thought He would sound like a chipmunk.

And speaking of little critters, here is one that I never get tired of:



5 comments:

  1. I hope you are keeping some of these posts - make a great devotional book. What a cute little critter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that little critter too. AND, I love that movie! I used to watch it when I was little too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I LOVED that Chipmunk movie when I was younger. We had the soundtrack on cassette to and just about drove my parents crazy because we listened to it in the car during a camping trip. I think we "lost" it soon after that camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed being around you guys while you were annoyed with the Chipmunks...how hilarious! And Luke is super cute...I think his cuteness increases EVERY DAY!

    On a more serious note...my friend wrote the other day "One day, I hope I have the patience to let my children ask me a thousand questions and never get frustrated. Because I ask God for so much, and yet He still WANTS me to ask for more. I want to be that good of a parent. I want to love my children that much." Kind of unrelated in a related way! God doesn't mind being a broken record! Just as long as we allow Him to work through us until we turn off the record because we've heard AND listened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was one of my favorites when I was little too!!! I would always request it when I had to be home sick from school. I think it isn't quite as annoying as the new chipmunk movie (that one about sends me over the edge) so at least you've got that going for you!

    ReplyDelete