Saturday, September 5, 2009

When You're Smiling...

... the Whole World Smiles with You.
We were doing an awful lot of smiling this week since two major events happened. First, Luke turned two - for fake, last Saturday and for real today. And second, my sister got married - for real on Tuesday and for fake next Friday in Cabo. With weird Mexican laws they have to be there for 4 days before they can get married so they got hitched at the JOP on Tuesday and are having their "ceremony" in Cabo on Friday. So this week has been full of parties, ceremonies and lots of packing and planning. Some of our great moments were caught on film and others you will have to visualize based on my retelling. Last Sunday, Luke's grams stayed and swam with us and we had a fun time showing her all of the swimming tricks he has learned. He really thinks he is a "biggity butt" (as we like to call it) because he can swim. He is even diving (with help) underwater to pick up items that he has thrown in the pool.

On Tuesday, we had the wedding. Luke did pretty well except for shouting "PawPaw" a few times during the ring exchange. It was short and sweet and the Judge was pretty funny.


Afterwards, my parents and Luke and I went to eat at this place we have never been before called Clay's. It was a fun atmosphere. There were lots of patios and decks to eat on and a barn in the back with horses, cows and goats. This was Luke's first experience feeding an animal other than the dog so he found it hilarious when the cows tongue engulfed his hand. He also got to pet a horse for the first time and this was pretty fun. We even had to go back to the horse stall, twice, from the parking lot, to say goodbye to the "horsey".

But what we didn't get a photo of was the peacock. Yes, they had 2 peacocks freely roaming about on the eating deck. We had decided to sit outside to enjoy the weather and that peacock smelled our food and was very hungry. First he circled our table to see what scraps would land his way. And then, seeing as that wasn't working, he started pecking at the fries on my plate - as I was eating! It scared me and I kind of freaked out. This made Luke nervous and he started doing this very nervous laughter that sounded pretty crazy. Thus, we moved everything inside and ate in relative safety with Luke periodically asking where the "chicken" was. I think he may have been slightly traumatized by that hungry bird.
Wednesday was a shopping day. We just had to buy outfits for the trip so we packed up our car and drove to the Katy Mills Mall. Luke only enjoyed himself for the first hour and then it was a struggle to keep him in the stroller and in a good mood. However, lunch at the Rain forest Cafe and a ride on the food-court- carousel sure helped.

On Thursday we went to a Meet-the Teacher- event at the Mother's Day Out program Luke will be attending in 2 weeks. This was pretty fun. We met his classmates and his teachers. There was one grandmother there with her grandson who became very attached to my mother in the ten minutes we were there. Her 2 year old grandson does not speak at all, nor does he have any experience with other children. But he laughed and played with Luke. All was well until he grabbed for Luke's toy and then Luke got mad and told him to "stop it" with a very assertive voice. I think he will do just fine. And to prove this, he cried when we had to leave.

On Friday, my parents accompanied us to the zoo for Luke's birthday field trip. Since we went last year on his birthday, we decided to make it an annual tradition.

It was 10 times more fun this year and that little dude went crazy. He ran everywhere and was so sweaty. He was asleep within five minutes of getting in the car again. A lot sure dies change in one year though.

What the camera didn't capture was my son tattling one me to my mother. While my mom was out I was entertaining Luke by throwing a cup in the air and catching it. Because I am clumsy, the cup slipped and flew on top of the kitchen cabinets. It knocked a picture down and I tried to put it back but it looked bad. So when mom got home I told her I had knocked her picture down. Then Luke came over to her and said, "mommy. cup. up there. fell down". That kid ratted me out. Since I was going to tell anyway, I didn't care so much about that as I did about him being able to report what I had done. I am in trouble now because I have a snitch in my midst. No more blaming the kid.
And then today came. And today is Luke's 2nd birthday. We made a special Birthday Breakfast and gave him two small gifts to unwrap. After that I had to take him to his dad. Since we are leaving tomorrow, this was the last I will see of him until Sunday, the 13th. I cried and kissed him and squished him so tight. I will miss that baby more than I can say. But a week on the beach without parenting will be wonderful too.


So now I am doing last minute things to get ready for our early flight in the morning. There will likely be no posts next week since I will be on the beach. Talk to you soon enough.
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment