Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mr. Independent






There comes a time in every mother's life when the baby is officially no longer a "baby", he is a "toddler". Now toddlers are pretty cool because they move and communicate much better than babies and they start to become very fun, entertaining and funny. At 2 years old, my little toddler is a mixed bag of emotions and skills. He is saying sentences, throwing minor tantrums, and doing everything for himself (or trying to). And as of last week, he is also going to school. Well, more like Mother's Day Out, but still an institute of higher learning. I will admit that the thought of sending my baby into the care of someone else two days a week, for 5 hours, made me slightly anxious. But... on that first day, as we walked into the building and his classroom for the first time, I was reminded once again how grown up he has become. My "baby" is a very big boy. He walked into that strange room full of strange people and fit right in. He grabbed a toy and made himself at home. In fact, when mommy said bye and kissed his sweet cheek, he said "bye mommy" over his shoulder without even a second glance. In that moment he made his point: he is growing up and spreading those little wings bit by bit, everyday. Contrary to normal Leslie behavior, I did not cry when I said goodbye or even in the car afterwards. I think what I felt most was comfort and pride. I was so pleased to know that he could hold his own and have the confidence to do new things without me. It made me feel that I was doing something right. It made me think that I was being "faithful" with the responsibilities God had given me in raising that boy. Of course, when I picked him up he was crying and all of those warm feelings from the morning completely vanished. As of today, we have gone to school 3 times, had 2 show and tells and learned 1 new color. He is liking school which puts a huge smile on my face. Luke is the youngest kid in his class and I was worried about that. But like most worries, this was futile and premature. He is doing quite well. Yesterday I went early to pick him up and I got to watch him from afar without him knowing. And what I saw was a content, confident, willing little guy fitting right in and having a blast.


Here is my big boy on his first day of school:


No comments:

Post a Comment