Thursday, December 17, 2009

Repeat the Sounding Joy


There are 7 days until Christmas and I am hunkered down into the holiday spirit. I love this time of year, the decorations, the movies, the songs and the sweaters. Recently I went looking at Christmas lights and I was in awe and wonderment. And this year, the holiday joy is rubbing off on my son too. He has gotten interested in the holiday classic movies like Rudolph and, his favorite, Frosty. With so much merryment going on I am feeling the need for a list. This is a list of all the things that are making my days merry and bright lately:

1. Luke singing the words "Frosty, the snowman" over and over again. Just that sentence. And it is even better when he is supposed to be sleeping and yet all you hear is "Frosty, the snowman" on the monitor as he tries desperately to evade sleep.

2. I got all A's this semester in my classes. My current GPA is a 4.0 and that feels FANTASTIC! I wondered if I still had it in me and I guess I do. Once a nerd, always a nerd.

3. My Christmas shopping is done and I do not have to fight the crowds anymore. Although, my sister did have me on a scavenger hunt through every local Wal Mart and Target trying to find my brother-in-law the perfect gift.

4. Luke had a Christmas party at school today and I got to attend. It felt nice to be one of those moms who can enjoy school things with their kids. Seems like next year I won't get these opportunities so I am seizing them now.

5. I sent out Christmas cards and they were really cute this year. I will admit, the model was decidedly harder to get to cooperate this year but he was still a delight.

6. I don't have any more homework and so I am getting to read fiction books and take naps.

7. I am getting to see some movies I am really excited about like Brothers and Blindside. And also some movies that are older but still good like An Affair to Remember and Kramer vs. Kramer.

8. The most exciting seasons of So You Think You Can Dance and Survivor.

9. The new John Mayer cd. And an IPOD full of Glee music.

10. My son getting on the fireplace and dancing and singing. That boy can shimmy and shake.



And then there is this:

I am working out more. I have a goal to be able to run 6 miles straight. Currently, I am still working on 1 mile. But this body of mine is for sure getting older and harder to whip into shape. Two weeks of working out and my hip hurts, my knee pops and I have a huge blister on my foot. It sure makes for some good excuses not to work out but I am still going strong. "Can't nobody hold me down. Oh no. I've got to keep on movin'."

3 comments:

  1. When you get to your goal, we should run a 10K together - I think it's just a little over 6 miles. I've just started running again this week, and so I'm right there with you on working to get back up to just one mile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey me too. I am in the process of training for a 5k and am working with the couch to 5k program since I have never ran a mile much less half a mile in my entire life!!!!

    it is so much easier to get through the first few weeks of pain. Just a piece of advice if you stop, yep you half to go through the pain again (speaking from experience)

    I am thinking of running this in Febuary in Ft. Worth (if I meet my goal).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Sara was my inspriration and I am running the Houston Half Marathon in January. It is hard, but such an amazing feeling of accoplishment when you reach a goal.

    ReplyDelete