Friday, November 20, 2009

Oh, My Starry-Eyed Surprise

Well, today was a first for me. Today, I was one of those proud parents that watches from the stands as their child performs. By "perform" I mean in the traditional two-year old sense, which is to say... just standing there and looking cute. There was singing and gesturing, both of which my son tried. However, he was only half-committed. The rest of his commitment was devoted to looking around, waving and watching the older kids perform. But that is how it is supposed to go, right? I mean, don't all parents expect to sit through these things at some point or another? Well, this was a first for me and I loved every minute. I had a smile from ear to ear as I watched him do his thing. In that moment I was proud to be one of the many parents with a camera plastered to their face.

He entered the place with an air of confidence and poise that quickly crumbled once he saw Nana and I in the front row. While his excitement was adorable, the lack of attention and focus was a weighty challenge for his teachers. It took a bot to get him in place and ready to engage. And once that goal was achieved, it was short-lived. It didn't take long for my little guy to turn around, sit down and stare blankly at everyone else dancing and singing.


But when he did get the moves out, they were riveting. Although they were a bit delayed, they completely captured my heart. And yes, I was mimicking the moves very animatedly in my seat in an effort to get him motivated. Let me say that it did not work.

What a great morning. My journey as proud parent is just beginning. Here is to many more "shows" to come.

And now for something completely unrelated:

PawPaw found a wonderful hiding spot for Luke that is conveniently portable. All you have to do is look at his face to know how much he loved this game. In fact, the next day he carried the luggage from PawPaw's closet all the way to the kitchen, banging it on every surface along the way, just to show me how he can get inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment