Thursday, November 12, 2009

Your Mountain is Waiting

As I have said before, I like to read. And I like to be a well-rounded reader. These days I am reading more textbooks and kids books than anything else. But I am learning that there is a great deal of wisdom to be found out there in those books. For instance, I have become captivated by my history textbook. All of the historical stories are really making me interested in history for the first time. So much so that I am in the process of planning a trip to Boston for next fall. But also, I am learning from my son's books as well. Just the other day we were sitting in his room reading Dr. Seuss and I was still invested in the book long after he had given up listening and moved to another task. Something in those Seussian words spoke to me. I felt understood, encouraged and reminiscent. Here are some lines and pictures that moved me:



Congratulations!

Today is your day.

You're off to Great Places!

You're off and away!



You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.





Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.





Except when you DON'T.
Because, sometimes, you WON'T.


Bang-ups
and
Hang-ups
CAN happen to you.


You can get all hung up in a prickle-ly perch.
And your gang will fly on.
You'll be left in a Lurch.






And when you're in a Slump,
you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done.






I'm afraid that sometimes
you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win
'cause you'll play against you.
ALL ALONE!
Whether you like it or not,
Alone will be something
you'll be quite a lot.





But on you will go
though the weather be foul.







On you will go
though your enemies prowl.
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl.
Onward up many a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.










On and on you will hike.
And I know you'll hike far









and face up to your problems
WHATEVER they are.









You'll get mixed up
with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and rememnber that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So... GET ON YOUR WAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment