Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Cherry on Top

12 hours of classes at Lone Star College: $650.00
6 textbooks from Chegg.com: $220.00
4 notebooks for keeping diligent notes: $10.00
Starting a new adventure at 28 years old: PRICELESS


This is my last week of glorious summer freedom and as such I am trying to make the most of it. Unfortunately it has been raining so far and we have not gotten to do too terribly much. However, I DID go on a job interview yesterday. After I drove to one location, found out it was the wrong one, then drove another fifteen minutes to the right one... I found out within five minutes that I was ineligible for the job because it was with the college and I am a student there. Major bummer. For inexplicable reasons I cried as soon as I closed the door to my car and looked pathetic sobbing and driving. I treated myself to some Chipotle, because that makes any situation better, and pulled it together. My back up plan is now in full effect... substitute teaching. And to be honest, I think it is a GOOD plan. So, like Johnson and Johnson says, no more tears for this big baby.

And so, in a mere 6 days I will be entering the halls of one Lone Star College as "the old lady" in a sea of eighteen year olds for a freshman level College Algebra class. That part is not too exciting- the old lady part, that is - and I do not intend to be very social. No time. I am a serious student, with serious learning to do. As it turns out, some things don't change that much. I have been, and will always be, the nerdy girl on the front row, taking diligent notes and raising her hand with the answers. That is who I am and I can not wait to get my "thinking cap" back on.

2 comments:

  1. You're going to be that old lady who ruins the curve for everyone else in class! Live it up with pride, girlfriend, live it up!

    ReplyDelete