Monday, May 25, 2009

I'll Be Back... And I am Back


I just returned from an 11 day vacation. It was very relaxing. My parents, the baby and I rented an RV and went camping at 3 different state parks. I have always been a camper and grew up playing in the river and sleeping in a tent. In fact, there were many years when my families only vacation was our yearly camping trip to Garner State Park. I have incredible memories of camping and tubing that have served as wonderful highlights and milestones of my youth and early adulthood.


It has always been important to me to make sure that I get to go on some sort of vacation with my child. I want to be able to get away and enjoy new experiences with him. And so, this week was doubly special for me. I got to take Luke to a place that is part of my family history and tradition, Garner State Park, and also got to do something I have never done before... travel in an RV.

Luke had a great time exploring the river and the lake water. His whole swimming experience has been limited ot the pool and the bath tub. So it was great to see him splashing in the Pedernales River and tubing down small rapids on the Frio. It was also fun to do the traditional camping standards like roasting smores and swinging in the hammock.

These last few months have been very trying on my mind, body and spirit. It was a much needed time of rest and reflection that I didn't want to end. Being surrounded by nature and God's creation reminded me of how huge and in control God really is. It was a wonderful vacation - my first one with Luke. I hope that we have started a new tradition for our family.

1 comment:

  1. HOw fun! Our first camping trip got rained out, so we are still wanting to go one weekend soon. Wish we had a RV! Glad you had fun with Luke- it is always fun to see things new through your kids eyes. Will continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete