Monday, September 13, 2010

Times they are a changin'

It seems like I am always starting a post with a reference to something that someone said to me. Well, this post will be no different. Someone near and dear to me asked if I write more in bad times than in good. Interesting question. And the answer is... yes. I do tend to get very emo and internal when the storm clouds roll in. And while that doesn't make for a very fun read, it sure provides a lot of inspiration for new material. I would like to work on this though. I do not want to be the Debbie Downer of the blog world. So starting today I am pledging to be more up-beat and whimsical in my musings. To kick this off I am doing something that I never would have thought possible - I am going to share a poem that I wrote. I am doing this because a) it was written in high school and b) I think it possesses a light-heartedness that suits the new me. So, here it goes:

FAT CANDY
I love were candy, I'd be fat
If sorrow were a fly swatter, I'd be flat
If marshmallows were dreams, I'd be a smore
If pentagons meant sanity, my count would be four
If friends were like mirrors, I'd live in vain
If fear were a sports car, I'd opt for a plane
If pennies were knowledge, I'd have 2 cents
If laundry were patience, I'd be the ball of lent
If men were sugar, I'd take mine sour
If pride were measured in minutes, I'd last an hour
If candles were maturity, I'd be at the end of my wick
If roses were honesty, I'd often need a prick
If hope were like water, I'd sometimes start to boil
If serenity were milk, I'd very quickly spoil
**As a disclaimer I need to say that I was 18. So I had a very limited knowledge of the world and most of the concepts in this poem. I would venture to say that this rhyme would be slightly different if I wrote it today. Thanks also to Rachel Bennet, who penned several of the lines with me, and Ms. Lawrence, my creative writing teacher. **

1 comment:

  1. I loved it! Thanks for sharing! I know another poem written by 2 18-yr-olds that could be posted too, though no one else would understand anything on it :)

    ReplyDelete