Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Go Back to High School!

Recently I watched the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married". In case you don't know, this is a movie about a woman who gets knocked unconscious at her ten year high school reunion only to wake up again back in high school. For me, this is my worst nightmare. I avoided my high school reunion like the plague. I was one of those people that did not peak until college. Therefore, my high school days are remembered as mere stepping stones. I was not popular or unpopular. I was an in-betweener. And what happens in the in between is that you coast through without anything major ever happening to you and without anyone ever noticing. I am not complaining, I liked having this status. I wasn't into parties or football games or making out in the halls. And furthermore, I sort of looked down my nose at those who did do those things. Let me remind you that it wasn't until college that I really let loose. I had friends, but they were few. Let me put it this way: I ate lunch with my younger sister and her friends, by choice, and enjoyed it. Even now I try to avoid going to places where I fear I will run into someone from high school. I want to avoid the awkward conversations and the pleasantries. The reason I am telling you all of this is because in some ways my high school days are revisiting me and I don't know how I feel about it. Through the marvels of Facebook I have made some contact with a few people that I was fond of in high school. And surprisingly, I have had a good time getting back in touch with these people. Remembering some of the better times has made me realize that perhaps I have chosen to focus on the negative of high school. I had some heartaches and some self-esteem issues and even a few embarrassing moments. But I did have some real friends during that time period who are still my friends today, ten years later. One of them is still my best friend.
There really is no point to this post, except that I am being reminded of my past in several ways right now and I am finding that this second look is offering a much different perspective. I am once again attending the church of my youth and I am seeing faces and people from another life entirely. I am getting reacquainted with old friends and discovering a new love for them. I feel like a different person completely from who I was in high school. Yet, when I realize how all of these great people were in my life then... I am so thankful for the path my life has taken. I have been a part of some incredible things and to have these people still around me, ten years later, as living scrapbooks of that is something really unique and wonderful.

I know I am getting wordy and I may be rambling a bit. But I am exhausted and it is 11:30 at night. I have been thinking of these things recently and I wanted to write them down. However, I am realizing that choosing this late hour to work on this task was maybe a mistake.

2 comments:

  1. HA! I knew you'd come around to love high school some day...and I was totally right!! By the way, pending that I'm not delivering a baby that week, we're SOOOO going to our 15 (if they have one) year reunion! Boo-Yah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the ONLY reason I would go. Somethings do not change. I said I am appreciating it - that does not mean that I want to revisit it.

    ReplyDelete