Monday, March 22, 2010

No Place Like Home



I love vacations. And in my short life as a mother, I have had only two vacations away from my child. I can admit that it is pretty refreshing to be duty-free for a little while without having hands tugging and two-year old tantrums over seemingly insignificant things. I enjoyed taking off my mommy-hat for a few days to go and do grown-up things that do not require diapers and cutting food in to tiny bits and lugging toys around to keep him entertained.



I went to Utah and I skied for three glorious days. I saw little children on the slopes and I was grateful that wasn't me. I encountered mothers in restaurants with screaming babies and I enjoyed my silent meal. But... even though my time away was sweet, there was nothing sweeter than reuniting with my son yesterday. In two short years, my life has been molded around this little guy in ways I never thought possible. And yes, it can be draining and overwhelming to be "mommy" to someone who depends on you to meet all their needs. But there is also no greater joy than scooping them up in your arms, after some time apart, and breathing in their sweet scent. I spent the evening smothering him with kisses and repeating the words "I love you", just because it was in my heart.





I did not know what to expect out of motherhood. I had hopes and dreams but I did not know how much I would miss his sweet chubby hands to hold (the last remnants of infancy) or the crazy cow-lick on the back of his head. I could not fathom how I would crave his wet kisses or his tiny voice saying "I want to hold you". These are simple treasures that I store in my heart and take with me when I am away. I am so fortunate that I can get away and go and do things to recharge my battery. But I am more fortunate that I have a little person who captivates me and who feels like home.

3 comments:

  1. I love the progression of photos. Grammy had a wonderful week with Luke and treasured every moment - even when he cried for Mommy. He kept me busy and laughing. Glad you had a good time. Childless vacations are always beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and so true!! Looking forward to seeing you soon, and meeting Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Les, just beautiful! I agree with Beth, I can't wait to hang out soon!

    ReplyDelete